Here’s another radio spot that made it to the interwebs. This is mostly Awards Watch talk with Dallas-based Newy Scruggs of NBC Sports Radio, but at the end we get into my recent piece on Mike Scioscia and managerial Hall of Fame candidacies. Enjoy!
Tag Archives: Max Scherzer
My latest for The Athletic addresses Jake Arrieta’s ongoing free agency and the gap between his asking price and actual value, which appears to be one of the key factors behind his continuing unemployment.
Here are some clips from my appearance on MLB Now on Monday with Dan O’Dowd, Joel Sherman, and host Scott Braun.
On George Springer’s two-year contract with the Astros, buying out two of his three arbitration years:
On the teams in the middle that should be aggressive right now in pursuit of a possible playoff berth (I focus on the Twins):
On Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto’s request for a trade:
On the top 10 pitchers right now, who’s number one, and where Stephen Strasburg fits on the list:
As for the top seven pitchers I mention in that clip, here’s my list, with the caveat that this was a hastily assembled list assembled while researching other topics in the small window between our production meeting and air time. Given more time, I might return a slightly different result:
1. Max Scherzer
2. Corey Kluber
3. Clayton Kershaw
4. Chris Sale
5. Justin Verlander
6. Madison Bumgarner
7. Zack Greinke
I have five pieces up on SI.com today, so rather than send out five tweets about them, I thought I’d put the five links here for one-stop shopping. They are:
- A recap/reaction to Friday evening’s Braves-Cardinals Wild Card game with thoughts on the controversial infield fly call and how that call exposed the flaw in the one-game-playoff format.
- A preview of the A’s-Tigers series which kicks off tonight at 6pm EST.
- A preview of Game 1 of that A’s-Tigers series, which, again starts tonight at 6pm EST.
- A preview of Game 1 of the Reds-Giants series, which follows tonight at 9:30pm EST.
- A preview of the Yankees-Orioles series which kicks off on Sunday at 6pm EST.
- Also, here are the SI.com “experts'” picks for the four division series.